Skip to main content

Who Will You Be?


Who Will You BE?

“Floating, falling, sweet intoxication.
Touch me, trust me, savor each sensation.
Let the dream begin, let your darker side give in to the power of the music of the night.” 
― 
Charles HartThe Phantom of the Opera: Piano/Vocal


Two weeks ago today, I was wending my way through the bustle and hustle of a dark, wet and rainy London evening.  People traveling home from work, going out for the evening and heading to thousands of differing destinations created packed pavements. I was on my way to a private showing of a movie preview.  Navigation between Charing Cross station, through Covent Garden to Soho and beyond was my immediate task.

I had lived in London back in the 1970s, twice in fact.  Back then this journey would have taken ten minutes max. Over thirty years later, my I-phone would not access data; alas no google maps to navigate with.  I had to find my way through the spaghetti streets that make up the Theatre district with a wet map in tiny font that I had picked up from the very posh Savoy hotel.   I had an idea and quickly ducked into the foyer, sat myself down in front of the concierge, and pled my case that I was disoriented and this was not the London that lived in my memories.   He quickly pointed me in the correct direction and handed me the typical tourist map – I admit to feeling slightly insulted by being treated as a tourist, while grateful that I now had a navigation tool – a map!

Getting to Covent Garden was easy, but beyond it, I stepped into a crowded newsagent where the kindest Pakistani fellow helped me navigate the next few blocks.  Along the street, a young couple checked their I-phones on the corner of another junction to make sure I was on track, with a bright “yeah mate, yer on yer way.”  I was thrilled to be within about four or five blocks. Finally, just as I was peering through the drizzle to read an indistinct street sign, a gentleman with collar pulled up and cap pulled down approached me to check that I was okay – something about my demeanor must have shouted “lost.”  I reassured him that I was absolutely on track, no worries and upon hearing my American twang, he reassured me that everything in America would turn out okay, and that I should not worry about the election results which had been announced just a couple of days prior.  He proceeded to explain in a broad Russian accent that there were poor politicians everywhere and that we would survive.  I felt amused, and touched, as if an angel had just touched my shoulder with a soft “it’s alright now”.

Upon reaching my destination – a French pastry shop with delicious mille feuille, the frothiest coffees, traditional bistro style tables and authentic French waiters – I was elated, happy and just a bit overwhelmed with gratitude.  I met my Scottish friend and thought – this is the world I love to live in. Within that short journey, I had interacted with the concierge at the Savoy, the happy Pakistani newsagent, a young British couple and a kindly Russian gent. The music of the night was made evident in every step of the process.

Ten Lessons Learned from a 20 Minute Journey In London

1.    People including strangers are innately kind;
2.    We never have to go it alone;
3.    It took a mini-United Nations to help me arrive at the destination;
4.    I was willing to ask and to continue asking;
5.    Course correcting was necessary along the way;
6.    Memory helps: I recognized several junctions, theatres, landmarks and blocks;
7.    I experienced mini-culture-shock: a dissonance between my memories and current reality, and my interface with the city; 
8.    Not once did concern or fear get the upper hand;  
9.    By simply showing up to the next moment and trusting that the guidance offered was good, I could keep moving forward;
10. Laughter, friendliness and a breezy attitude are magnets for support and assistance.

As we navigate foreign lands or even our old home town, we often fall prey to the internal critic who says “well that’s not the way we do this,” or “you should have checked with the phone company service before setting off.”  There is often the desire to “look good” and not look like a foreigner or stranger; but releasing the old pattern and being available to something new is the seed of freedom.


Ultimately there are masses of good in the world, and if we will but wake up to the goodness that exists right under our nose, we can navigate ourselves in any direction.  Just for today, use your brilliance, your natural intuition to carry you forward in the direction of your long term dream or short term goals, one person, one map and one step at a time.  I believe in you, I believe in me….we have got this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Secrets to Calming Re-entry Conflict

After Returning Home from Overseas I felt I was choking – the oxygen I needed was draining out of my body.   And yet my body seemed to be alive and well in one country whilst my mind took a detour into what felt like outer space. No worries – except that space felt more familiar, more normal and more real in so many ways.    I had arrived “back home” and was sitting amid what I had assumed would be my new tribe, my soft landing – a group I had visited and identified with prior to my arrival. They had courted me, right?    They knew me, right?      They had shared the secret bathroom code, right?     I was in the arrival stage of Re-entry after almost 20 years’ continuous years of living overseas. A seismic shift felt like it hit me like a bear raiding a campsite of fully stocked cars brimming with food.   My feeling of tribe changed from a calm, soft landing to feeling like I had slid through a black hole and was once more adrift as an alien with a very tenuou
Anatomy for a Successful Return Home!     Anatomy for a Successful Return Home! I got to thinking about what a great metaphor our skeletal system is for returning home or moving in general. There are lots of moving parts in bodies.    Bodies do better when they are  flexible, strong and healthy.  Our bodies house our spirits and require regular daily maintenance.    They constantly need movement, feeding and watering just like our re-entry does.   If we are flexible and take loving care of our re-entry we get wonderful healthy results. How is our anatomy a metaphor for a successful Return Home?   Head How are you using your head?   What are you thinking?    Which thoughts are filling your mind?   How organized or chaotic are your thoughts?    Are you paying attention to your headspace?  Taking the time to write down your reflections upon your relocation journey, daily if possible,  will help you become more present to what’s going on i

Repatriation: An Ugly Word or a Beautiful Process?

“Everything works out in the end. if it hasn't worked out yet, then it's not the end.” ― Tracy McMillan   On a cold winter’s day last February, I found myself roaming around the grassy cemetery of an ancient English church.  The tiny village with thatched roofs kept careful watch.  White snowdrops thrown like magic carpets by a ghost gave me a profound sense of hope and joy in this green grassy corner of the world. Ancient burial stones tumbled, lopsided and barely appearing from moss covered mounds were everywhere.   A jumble of death. In the midst of this a tall stone monument stood on a plinth, newer, built in 1922 and erected in memory of those who died in WWI. The sign read “as there was no repatriation of bodies during the war, it was important for the villagers to have somewhere to come and remember the fallen”. Heavens to Betsy!    I was struck by the word “ repatriation” and the sense of loss.   I imagined the village looking for their loved